Saturday, October 15, 2005

Texas State Fair


What a great day today! Keith and I spent the whole day at the fair, so came home tired, dirty, full and happy. The weather was absolutely perfect! I've taken a shower and am now sitting on the sofa watching the Nascar race with my feet up.

This year I decided to not mess with the camera or purse, so just stuck the essentials in my pocket - lip ivo, cell phone, etc. Of course I couldn't let the day go by without taking any pictures at all though, so used the cell phone, which explains why the quality isn't as good as the camera. But I was very happy to have it and saw sooo many people using cell phone cameras today. What did we ever do without our phones and camera "to go"???

The highlight of the fair is of course the food. Here, in no particular order, is what we ate: corn dogs, funnel cake, turkey leg and the food that all the news people are talking about AND that won the trophy for Best Taste at the fair 2005 - a fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwich!!! Here's what it looked like:


I can't say that it's my new favorite fair food or anything like that, but it was pretty darned good! Here's me enjoying it:


Besides the eating we also watched a chinese acrobat group perform (and I'll bet they haven't been eating a lot of fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwiches!!!) and the pig races (and they might have eaten a lot of them!)! That was a lot of fun to watch. We also toured a garden area that had a lot of trains set up and it was cute to watch all the little kids - and men - get excited over them. And I talked to a volunteer in the gardens about some flowers that seemed to have literally hundreds of monarch butterflies on them. I now have information on their organization, web site and meeting dates. Not sure if I need to get into butterfly gardening that much, but I would love to do something like that in the back yard. I long for the days of my youth with all the butterflies and if I could recreate something like that it would be great.


~ Elizabeth
"I never get tired of the blue sky."
- Vincent van Gogh

No comments: