Sunday, August 10, 2008

Feather and Fan Baby Blanket

I finished this blanket on Tuesday last week and couldn't be happier with it.  The pattern is the Feather and Fan Blanket and I've always loved the delicate lacey look, but was afraid to try it.  Now I'm so glad I did because it really wasn't hard at all.  It's only a four row repeat and only one of the rows is a pattern row.

This was made for one of my dear friend's daughters who is due very soon.  I started the blanket in March but just sort of did a few rows every now and then because I knew I had 9 months to finish.  Guess what - those 9 months pass more quickly than you think - LOL!  The last two weeks have seen quite a bit of dedicated knitting time on this blanket.
I chose white because I've always thought that white blankets look very heirloom.  And the white yarn with this lacey pattern just made it so beautiful. 

The yarn is simply the Pound of Love by Lion Brand.  I am a firm believer in using yarn that a new mother is able to wash and dry.  And this drapes so lovely.

Keith and I were looking at it yesterday morning and he asked me how long it took to knit.  I was able to figure a rough estimate because each pattern repeat took about an hour, so approximately 44 hours went into this blanket.  That sounds like a tremendous amount of time, but really it was all knit either watching tv/movies with Keith or knitting with friends.
One of my favorite parts about knitting blankets for new babies is the amount of prayer that goes into them.  During those hours much time was spent thinking abouto and praying for baby Paige.
This blanket truly was a labor of love and I hope she loves it too.  :)
Behold, children are a gift from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them! ~ Psalm 127:3-5

12 comments:

Lovin Hello Kitty said...

By the way...the blanket turned out beautiful..looks so soft and cuddly perfect for a sweet new one.

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

Very, very,very pretty. I am sure baby Paige will love snuggling in it!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blanket, very nice job! I'm sure the baby will love it. Knitting for a baby is like giving her love to wrap around her, isn't it?!

Renna said...

What a lovely blanket! I never thought about it before, but I totally agree that white does look very heirloom. I've never knit that pattern before, but your's is so pretty, I'm inspired to try it.

I'm still chuckling over your previous post, and your hubby's reply why he wouldn't punch the shark in the nose for you. ;-Þ

Knitting Rose said...

it looks COMPLETELY AWESOME!! I love it. You did a wonderful job!

Tracy Batchelder said...

It's beautiful! Another good thing about a blanket is that the baby doesn't outgrow it in the first month.

trash said...

Beautiful work there. Intarsia is easy, you just have to make sure you keep count of your stitches properly :-)

Thanks for stopping by TRash Towers today.

Enid said...

Awwww Elizabeth...is just stunning gorgeous!

Amy said...

Wow, what a beautiful blanket! You are very talented.
Just stopping in to say thanks for stopping at my blog via SITS today. I appreciate you taking the time to peek around.
Have a great weekend,
Amy

Lana said...

That's one of my very favorite patterns too. It turns out SO NICE!!!

Sydney said...

What a gorgeous blanket! I hope someday I'm good enough to knit something like that. right now I'm working on a basic scarf. Actually, I started the scarf last February, discovered crocheting, then it got hot outside... so once the weather cools off, I'll pick it back up!

Amy said...

Your baby afghan is lovely. Nice to meet you...and thanks for the nice comment on my blog.