Sunday, August 17, 2008

Being Still

This is one of my absolute favorite Bible verses and one that I struggle the most with.  I think many times we get so caught up in being busy and trying to fix things and make things perfect that we really don't hush long enough to listen for Him to give us direction.
In the morning during Bible time yesterday was when this verse came to me again.  It has cooled off here in Texas so I took my coffee and Bible to the backyard for reading.  After my reading was finished and I'd made notes of some new favorite verses, all of a sudden this verse just came at me.  The timing was interesting too because Friday one of my favorite friends found out her "position had been eliminated" at work and I was just devastated.  And not too long after that many of us in our family received an email that my brother/sister-in-law's dog Harmony had passed away.  Sadness - and an entire post coming on that.  But my mind had been a whirl about things happening and wanting to make things better.  And yet, God stepped in and told me to be still.  So I did.
And looking around I noticed the birds, oh so many different varieties.  My first thought was to jump up and come get the camera, but He reminded me again to be still.  And a dog barked in the distance.  And more birds flew in the yard, including a brilliant red cardinal.  And the tears started to flow silently.  Those few moments of beautiful peace and a clear mind and the Lord brings such  wonderful things.  I started to pray and the tears still flowed.  How awesome is our God who loves us no matter what.  Who listens to the words of our hearts.  And who just wants us to be still sometimes and to listen to Him.
"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  - Phillipians 4:7

2 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

That's one of my favorite verses too.

Lana said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It's such a blessing to meet others who share a passion for our Lord and fiber crafts:~) That Bible verse means a lot to me too!