Thursday, March 16, 2006

Spring Break Cards

Getting my crop area all fixed up and it was so nice last night when I needed to make a card and had a space to do it! I've been very tired lately and not feeling creative, so I fell back on my standard card. This one is a masculine version, but by changing the pattern paper and sentiment it will work for any occasion. Doesn't show well on the scan, but there is a brown cardstock mat.

It's strange to stop and realize that it's spring break right now. My baby being 20 means that spring break isn't nearly the thing it used to be. She is on spring break from college this week, but it doesn't really change her schedule all that much. I remember in years past scheduling vacation time during this week to spend with the kiddos and run them to the zoo and movies and picnics. These times they are a changin'!

((( Thursday Blogger 3.16.06 )))

Today's challenge questions really made me think - and that's a good thing!

1. The biggest enemy to creativity is unrealistic personal expectations. We are now blessed with so many ways of seeing and reading about our favorite hobbies - the internet, magazines, etc. And there are some truly inspired artists out there that can just make you breathe a sigh of pleasure when you see their work. The unwanted side affect of that is that I want everything I create to be just as beautiful and awe inspiring. Sometimes I sit in front of a blank piece of cardstock and just freeze rather than move forward. I want to create such beautiful things for my children and family to see and love. And it's easy to lose sight of the real reason I started doing this in the first place, which was to preserve our memories. I fell victim to this same thing in a hard way when I was quilting and I can't believe I'm doing it again. Note to self - work on this!

2. The only thing I know for sure about the creative process is that it's an ongoing personal process. I'm not sure I've yet found my own personal style in scrapbooking as there are so many that I like. And that's ok. When I am in the right frame of mind and scrapbooking for my family I get so much done and enjoy the creative process so much. And more often than not I'm very pleased with my results. I do look back on things I did a few years back and think what I should've done differently, but they still are pleasing to me and make me happy. And that should be my goal.

~ Elizabeth - who is feeling rather deep this morning!

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against You. - Psalm 119:11

4 comments:

Bonita Rose said...

I love your card, and loved what you shared.. we're all unique... it's so great! HUGS

Anonymous said...

You're right - it's an ongoing personal process and always changing. So true!

Anonymous said...

ya know what helps me is the people that don't "scrap" and think my pieces are a work of art to be treasured and they right! It's my own art!
really great answers and you probably have your own style you just haven't defined it yet you will!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The card looks great! I haven't made any for awhile. My mom's birthday is tomorrow (St. Patrick's day) and I might just sit down with my 2 1/2 year old nephew and make a card and give him some paper to make one too (he loves to put stickers on paper or scribble or even cut with kids blunt end scissors and glue on the pieces).