Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Waffle Knit Dishcloths

I first mentioned this pattern back on one of my Saturday Stumbles posts and since that time I've fallen head over heels in love with it.

Waffle Knit Dishcloth

It's an easy pattern to memorize, but has enough going on that it keeps your interest. And the pattern has a nubbly texture, which I particularly like when washing dishes as it usually eliminates the need for a scrubby.

SONY DSC

I've done two so far and I really think this will even replace my "old faithful" pattern - the Grandmother's Favorite.

SONY DSC

I tend to like my dishcloths a little bit bigger than most, so I cast on 44 stitches instead of the 38 in the pattern. Then I just knit until it was square, which made for an 8.25" dishcloth.


** Linking to Get Your Craft On, Topsy Turvy Tuesdays, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Toot Your Horn Tuesday, Tip Me Tuesday, Lucky Linky Tuesday, Look What I Made, Idea Sharin' Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, Creative Therapy Session, Get Your Craft On

10 comments:

Alice McElwee said...

I found this pattern a couple months ago, and I love it! You're right..easy enough for mindless knitting, but enough of a pattern to keep you from getting bored.

However, I knit scrubbies anyway, for use on stuck on food. I buy nylon netting, cut it in half, and knit the netting with a strand of cotton yarn. It's super fast...some big needles, US 11 or 12, cast on 10..knit a little square/rectangle. Viola. Instant scrubbie.

http://www.tulle-shed.com/

One of the great places to buy nylon netting. ;)

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Thanks for the pattern. I love it. I am going to knit some of these now. And I love the idea for the scrubbies that Alice put in the comments. That sounds neat too. Love & blessings from NC!

Debby said...

I haven't commented on your blog for awhile but I'm still faithfully reading it. I so enjoy your upbeat, cheerful writing. Having said that, I had to comment that your dishcloth post was timely. We're heading out camping in a few weeks and I wanted to take some simple knitting project that was easy since our grandmunchkins are going with us and I will be too tired to do in depth knitting. Dish cloths were what I had in mind and along comes your post. Thank you!

Natalie Rush said...

Very pretty! :) Love good dishcloths.

Tiffanee said...

Love these!! They are fabulous!! I am in need of some new ones. Thanks for a great pattern!!

Annabelle said...

Very pretty! I've been wanting to learn to knit, but my crochet work has kept me busy!

I'm having a Weekend Link Party - please stop by: http://handmadebyannabelle.blogspot.com/2010/08/weekend-link-party-link-up-your-latest.html

Anonymous said...

Hi... I'm the newest follower of your great blog.

Bee said...

I've made both of those and like them for the same reasons you do. I can take either the waffle-knit or the Grandmother's Favorite in the car and not have to count stitches or refer to a pattern.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

I love this pattern too. Right now I am knitting the DW dishcloth from the pattern on Ravelry. The only knitting I can do in the summer is dishcloths. I also make a batch of these to use in the shower. They make a great exfoliating scrub cloth!

Ashlee Marie said...

It looks great! I'm adding this to my ever growing to do projects~! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!