Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Joe the Smile Ambassador

This is my sweet old doggie Joe last night in the truck as he went with me to get dinner.
Keith and I are on a "cook at home" kick again because, hard to believe, I'm a little tired of fast food.  I'm also wanting to use up some things in the freezer and pantry.  So for dinner Keith got the package of meatballs out of the freezer and put them in the oven, then started making the gravy.  I was busy peeling potatoes and getting them boiling so that we could have mashed potatoes.  BUT...when we pulled the meatballs out of the oven they had the most vile smell to them that there was no way we were going to have them for dinner.  We both stood there for a minute, then with a resigned voice we decided we'd toss out the potatoes and just go out.
Then I was struck with a brilliant thought - P0peye's chicken has a leg and thigh for .99 cents special on Tuesdays!  So Joe and I hopped in the car and ran through the drive-thru and Keith and I ended up spending $2.14 for chicken to go with our potatoes and gravy.  Crisis averted and we were still able to feel somewhat virtuous about our dinner choice!
And on the way home we were sitting in the left turn lane waiting for our turn to go.  I looked over and saw a lady with a smile a mile wide on her face.  Joe had ended up leaning on the door with his little muzzle resting on the window sill and was cute as all get out!
He is obviously a great ambassador for smiles.  :)

4 comments:

Renna said...

Our local Kroger's makes delicious fried chicken. They frequently run specials on it. Recently, we got an 8 piece (4 breasts, 4 wings) for $4.99. I made mashed potatoes and opened a bag of frozen corn while Hubby made the chicken run. It's sort of like eating a home cooked meal, but without all the effort and mess. Plus, we had leftovers for lunch the next day.

It sounds like Joe really blessed someone, so it's a good thing the meatballs were bad. ;-)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love the rotisserie chicken at WalMart. I forget the price but it's reasonable and it makes 2 meals for us. blessings, marlene

Rebecca Jo said...

Look at your fur-baby! Nothing like a drive with a doggie to make their day!

Natalie Rush said...

What a cutie!!! Love the looking out of the car look. :)

It's always fun to go to Popeyes. :)

I'm lutheran too..I just noticed your tidbit of the day! :)