Monday, September 29, 2008

I Am Back....

And I am just blown away by all the emails, comments and calls I've received about mom.  She is home and doing well, though she still faces more recovery of course. 

My mom is a trooper and has probably the highest pain threshold I've ever seen.  When we got to go and see her right after surgery she was fairly alert and I told her she was a tough old bird.  And before anybody gets shocked at that, let me assure you that my mother is the rare breed of person that loves to tease and be teased.  She smiled at my statement and has quoted it several times since then.

So many emotions after this sort of thing.  Mom has always been the caregiver in our family and to have roles reversed is an interesting situation.  In fact, the first morning at her house I woke up and sat there trying to identify the smell.  The silly woman had gotten up and made muffins for our breakfast!  In her defense, they were a mix and all she had to do was add water.  And she did take a hefty nap after that.  :)

And I was able to spend much more time with my brother than I have in quite some time and that was nice.  Most of the time I'm with him it's at some sort of event and the entire family is around, making talk more difficult.  So out of lemons comes some lemonade.

I will also admit that it's good to be home.  This sort of shook my foundation and I find that I am craving routine right now.  Earlier I had my coffee, loved on my animals and had my quiet Bible time.  So comforting.

One last thought.  Between my girlfriend weekend and mom's surgery I was away from Keith for over a week.  When I saw him this weekend and ran into his arms it was the best thing.  He held me and I knew that all was well in my world again.

5 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I'm glad your mom is doing well!

Renna said...

I'm so glad your mom is doing better. That last paragraph was so sweet! :-)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that things are going well.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that your mom came through the surgery okay.

Josiane

Sandie said...

This is my first visit here. Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope her recovery is swift and trouble free. I was interested to see she is in Oklahoma as my son is at the Army base there in Basic Training. The state just pops up now everywhere. :-) Hugs to you all.