Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tales From The Scales

Ahhh....finally I think I might have found an online "accountability" group. The weight loss challenge begins today and runs through September 18th.

We are supposed to write about our weight history, challenges, goal, etc., so here goes - or at least here's what I'm willing to share: ;)

My goal for this challenge will be 20 pounds. This should be doable as it averages out to only five pounds a month, which is below the recommended two pounds a week.

My biggest challenge and what has gotten me to where I am today would have to be fast food. Yes, I know it's terrible for me and honestly I can trace it back to exactly when it all started many years ago. Very briefly, shortly after Lynne' was born she was hospitalized. She got out of the hospital and went to my mom and dad's to stay and that same week Keith was hospitalized for what would be a several month stay. Right then, trying to maintain a full-time job and be with him as much as I could, was when the fast food train started rolling. I had literally no time at all to do anything for myself, so I would grab food on the way from one thing to the next. And I haven't gotten off that train since. I'm fairly certain that's when the emotional eating began as well.

So, I'm going to lose the fast food urge! :)

I'm also going to continue the walking. And now is a good time to brag on myself for the walking! I joined the walking challenge at the Runagogo site (walk 100 miles between May 1 and July 31) and I have walked 45 miles so far! I am so impressed with myself, especially when I look back three years ago when I could barely walk without the use of a cane. WooHoo!

Well I really didn't realize I'd be this revealing, but that's ok. I won't turn this blog into a total weight loss blog, but I will report in every Tuesday for our weigh in. :)

Edited to add: When I just checked my blog to see if this posted I had to laugh when I saw the post underneath this one is about my fabulous lemon cake!!! LOL!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome! I just love you!

Serving Him said...

Hey there fellow weight loss challenge partner. Way to go on all the walking. I have gotten out of the habit of excercising, but hope that this challenge will help me to get it back started again. I wish you a healthy week and am glad to be in this challenge. Sincerely, Serving Him

Sharon Brumfield said...

And the cake looks really good too!
Thanks for stopping by. It is great to see new faces.
It will be fun to see all the changes going on in blogdom.
See the new you real soon!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about the walking challenge. Good for you!

Sugar Britches Knits! said...

I am so glad you posted this today! I had not heard about this and would love to join to. I've been looking for something like this...how cool to have a support system!

Congrats on the walking! Way to go!

Krista said...

Thanks for visiting--we can ALL do this together! I see you live in DAllas--I live in Longview! Have a good day!

Robin said...

Good luck to you! I have joined the challenge too and look forward to doing this "together". I look forward to reading of your successes each week. Your cake recipe looks good - maybe I will make that when I lose the first 10 pounds!

Melanie said...

Mmmmm yummy looking cake. Great job with the walking! You can do it!
My story is up too. Come on by and vist, just no snacking while you're visiting!

Kim said...

It always helps to know you have support. Impressive numbers with the walking. Keep it up.

By the grace of God ... said...

We can do this! I am in the challenge as well, and hoping it will keep me accountable! So far, its works today!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment! I too think I will benefit from the accountability with the group. Best of luck to you! I'm off to check out the Runagogo site! Sounds like what I need to jump start my activity level. Thanks!!!

Mich said...

Hello fellow "loser" (I mean that in a good way!!)!!! It sounds like you've found your "stride" with walking--way to go!!! Looking forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your word of encouragement on my blog!

katy said...

Well lets all be loser together. I love the lemon cake, but I think I can keep my eyes on the weight loss goal right now. Thanks for stopping by and encouraging me!

Anonymous said...

Yes you are a bad girl for posting that cake recipe, cause now I MUST try it. I cheer you on to the your weight loss goal though. You can do it!!! You have the exercise in place. Now all you need is a good eating plan. I can never seem to get the 2 in place at the same time. Kadie and I are working on a plan for the summer. Walking and Fiber 35. So till then, I am baking cakes. YUM!!! Actually I bake them, but mostly give it away to neighbors. They just love my love for baking. Thanks for the recipe.

Military Mommy said...

I love the community we have found in the challenge.

I struggle with fast food too. It is definitely my go-to "comfort food".

Have a great week and keep making healthy choices!

Love, Michelle

Julie in Texas said...

Good luck Elizabeth! I know you will do well on your challenge.

You know I am such a joiner...I definitely need to join this one with you. I will think about it.

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I wish you fantastic success with your weight loss!

I just joined WW last week, so I'm a sister in the weight loss quest.

Have a wonderful and healthy week!