Thursday, May 17, 2007

It Is Well With My Soul

Joe and I just returned from our evening walk. The walk itself was uneventful, but when I sat down to do some work I realized I was humming the refrain from It Is Well With My Soul. That made me smile.

If you know the rest of the lyrics to this song you might be wondering about now. This song talks about trials that come and overcoming hurdles. That is not what I mean at all. I am just so content with my life right now and the refrain is exactly how I feel - it is well with my soul.

If you've never heard the story behind this hymn I encourage you to click on the link above and read it. The song was written by Horatio G. Spafford after he suffered some terrible tragedies. I have always felt like this man's faith is a wonderful example to look to when times are bad. Every time we sing this song in church I cannot help but tear up and get chills on my arms. The Lord is so good and I pray that we all can have a faith this strong.

2 comments:

Miss Knotty said...

Oh my gosh - this is one of my favorite hymns ever! It's in PERPETUAL rotation on my MP3 player - I have a version sung by a barbershop quartet, 4 Voices (they sang at my church) and I always have to sing along. It's quite a powerful piece.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that song when they're happy.

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

This is an excellent post, Elizabeth. Thank you...