Monday, January 10, 2011

Card #1 - FTL122–Thank You Card

One of my high school friends recently posted on her Facebook page about a book that she was going to try and follow. It’s called 365 Thank Yous: The Year A Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life by John Kralik (the link takes you to an author interview on NPR). This book chronicles the author’s decision to write a thank you note to one of his friends, family or even a stranger every day for one year.

I think this is a tremendously great idea and really goes along with the Friday Fave Five posts in that it helps you to focus on the positive. Honestly can’t you right now think of people that you could send a Thank You too?

However….that’s a rather lofty goal for me, so when I first read about it I agreed to myself that it was great, but not for me. But my thoughts keep returning to this book.

Then this morning I read somewhere that a person’s handwriting is fast becoming a lost art. I’ve mentioned before how much I love getting notes in the mail and when I read this about handwriting it gave me pause. A lost art? How sad that would be. Seeing a person’s handwriting can take you down memory lane faster than many things.

So all this leads me to my mutant version of the the book and the handwriting. In my version I’m going to try to send out a card a week – more if the situation warrants (I’d hate to put off a birthday card because I’d already sent a card that week!!!). There is *always* something you can send a card for and if there are no birthdays or anniversaries then it’s time to send a Thinking of You, Thank You or Missing You card. Can’t we all think of somebody that would fit one of those categories?

I’m hoping that I will also make the card I send so that I can justify my card making craft supplies. Smile But I’m not going to beat myself up if it’s a busy week and I can’t get to it since the real point is to get a card sent.

** Edited to add - Apparently I'm not the only one that came up with this mutant idea! Today in reading blogs I found a link to 52 Weeks, 52 Letters where she challenges us to do the same thing. I added my link and if you've decided to do something similar to this post I encourage you to link there as well.

--<>--

SONY DSC

Here is Card #1 using the FTL122 layout from the Clean & Simple Stamping blog. I do have a reason to send a Thank You card, so I’m off to a good start. Now all I need to do is handwrite a message on the inside!

  • Stamps – Whimsical Words by Stampin’ Up
  • Ink – Palette Noir Black
  • Paper – Kraft (Stampin’ Up), Spring Moss (Papertrey Ink), pattern paper/blue paper Metropolitan Plaza (American Crafts)
  • Size – 7x6 folded in half

* Linking to Get Your Craft On, Monday’s Blog Hop, Take-A-Look Tuesday

3 comments:

Arielle H Gordon said...

Well, Elizabeth, I'm glad you found me so that I could find you!!! I LOVE the colors and papers on this card!!! I'm going to go get nosy on the rest of your blog now...

Esther Asbury said...

Found you through Take a Look Tuesday...
Love the idea of sending out a thank you to someone every day --- but knowing me I'd get behind real fast! Maybe saying thank you to someone for something different every day would work (??) for me!
Anyway, like your card and think that one a week would be more do-able for me as well!

Heather P. said...

Simply GORGEOUS! Love, love, love the mix of patterns and colors!