Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hat #1 for Red Andrews Dinner

When my kids were little my best friend and I went to garage sales every single Saturday morning.  Between us we had five kids, so when we would go there would always be a couple of them with us and it might change week to week as to who would go.

It was during this time that my mom starting knitting hats for the Red Andrews Christmas Dinner in Oklahoma City.  If I remember right she would donate 30-40 hats every single year. 

This ties into the garage sales because she always had me keep an eye out for yarn.  Lots of times at a garage sale you’d find somebody selling a grocery sack of yarn for about a dollar, which meant lots of warm heads for a low price.  Mom would even use the partial skeins to put stripes in the hat, so really nothing went to waste.

So this year Mom and I were emailing one day and I said I was thinking about making hats for this dinner.  She replied that it funny because she had been thinking about knitting the hats again.  We now have  a plan for hats and I figure I can give my stack to mom at Thanksgiving so she can take them to the drop off point.

I’m not a fast or every day knitter, so my commitment was less than hers.  I’ve decided to do a hat each month and any time I think that’s not enough I’m reminded that eleven people will have warmer heads this way.

Hat #1 was finished yesterday.  I used the Classic World War II Watch Cap Pattern, derived from Beanie #212 pattern.  I’m here to tell you that it’s very satisfying to knit a hat with a history like this behind it.

SONY DSC

I used Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in Ivory Tweed.  Very happy with how this turned out and Keith liked the large cuff on the hat – he said it would be good when it’s cold to roll it down over your ears more. 

SONY DSC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this donating knitted hats post. I just found your site today, and this makes me happy-I have been looking for a place donate my huge collection of hats I have knitted. My family only needs so many. And thanks for the pattern-hopefully it isn't complicated for this semi-beginner knitter.

Crystal said...

I don't knit anymore, but I love the hat and the tweed yarn. What a great idea to knit and donate.

Have a blessed week.

Expressions by Heather said...

This is a nice pattern for the hat, and it's for a great cause! What a great way to craft!

Please feel free to add these to Talented Tuesdays at My Frugal Family!

http://theherberfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/talented-tuesday.html