Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Bracing for the Weather

All week long we've heard on the news about the Arctic Cold Front that is blowing through on Thursday.  Our low temperature will be about 13 degrees and we won't be back above freezing until Sunday.  But even more impressive, this is the longest and coldest cold front to hit the Dallas area in 12 years!

Now that's all well and good......except that I don't own a coat.  I've got jackets, some of them are even fairly warm.  But the thing is, 12 years ago when it was so cold, I weighed a lot more than I do now.  I finally donated the large coats several years ago and it honestly hasn't been cold enough to warrant me spending the money on a new one.

So yesterday I decided it was time for a coat.  During my lunch hour I went to two different stores and found no coats.  After work we ran up to Penney's and I found a rack that had two lonely little jackets - probably about a size 2 - hanging there...with the sound of crickets in the background.  It was starting to seem like a cloud of locusts had descended on the area and no more coats were to be found.

Next we went to Belk, which is a fairly new store in our area and there they were - several racks of coats just waiting to be chosen and come home with us.  The roof opened up, rainbows and unicorns appeared and there was much rejoicing.

Better yet - coats were now 50% off!  I found the cutest red wool coat and really couldn't have been happier.  I feel quite sassy in a red coat and now I'm almost looking forward to the cold weather.

Heavenly Father, we ask that you be with the homeless people during this cold weather.  Keep them warm and safe and offer up a place for their comfort.  Let us never forget just how blessed we are in our homes.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

LOL. Glad you found one before the cold hit. We could not live without good winter coats around here!

Trudy said...

hi Elizabeth. Thanks for dropping by my blog. YES!! Go, posthaste to Cracker Barrel and tell them you'd like to buy some of their bacon. We were able to buy 2- 2 pound packages, and I suspect there was plenty more to be had. I just wanted to see if it tasted the same at home. My husband's father used to smoke meats, and he said it was just as good or better than that!

I know I'll be saving the grease from this bacon--it'll season some good veggies and soups!