Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD: Devil's Food White-Out Cake

This week's TWD recipe was chosen by Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater. We made the Devil's Food White-Out Cake, which is on the cover of the book, and the recipe is available at Stephanie's blog.


This cake was fun to make for a couple of reasons - one of which was the marshmallow frosting. Can you believe that never in my life have I made marshmallow frosting??? It took some time, especially when you compare it to making a buttercream frosting, but the results are well worth the extra effort. Light and fluffy and a total complement to the fudgy goodness of the cake.


I had the same problem that many others on the list did - my cakes did not rise very much. Since the recipe says to cut the 2 layers into 4 and use one of them for crumbles on the top, well I was a little concerned. I finally decided to make it a two layer cake and just shave a little off the top for the crumbles.


It really is a spectacular cake, wonderful flavor and with this presentation makes it a great celebration cake. Both Keith and I decided this is definitely one to put in the keeper file.

7 comments:

Ivette said...

Your cake looks amazingly delicious! I love your pics!
I thought this cake was really good especially with all that fluffy frosting on top. :)

Renna said...

It looks delicious!

I've never made a marshmallow frosting either, but I'm game to try!

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

Well since I cannot taste it, all I can say is Boutimous!!! Simply Boutimous!!!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! The cake looks delicious and the photography is wonderful. :)

Unknown said...

Well, done. I really have to make that frosting next time!

Pamela said...

Just stopping in to say that your cake looks great! I love the picture of it covered in the white frosting...so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Cake looks fantastic! Especially your frosting - I had so much trouble with mine. Love the double layer-look too. Looks Delish!