Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pinwheel Block


I've started doing a Block of the Month at a fairly local quilt shop. It sounds really cool - the first kit cost $5 and included the fabric and directions to make the Pinwheel Block above. When the next month rolls around we bring our completed block in and receive the next kit for free! In theory I can complete an entire quilt top for only $5. And even the penalty isn't bad - if a block isn't completed in time or if I can't make it to the quilt shop on the designated day they only charge $5 for that block. Overall it will be a scrappy sampler quilt all in the '30's repro fabrics and I really like it.

I now have kit #2 in my hands and 4 weeks to complete it. And if I get enough other things done in this month I'm going to splurge on some fabric for a little project for B. Sometimes it can be dangerous walking into a wonderful quilt shop because there are so many temptations!




On the way to the quilt shop we stopped to get some lunch to go. We've started picking up copies of Texas Highways magazine and are having such a grand time finding out of the way places. We absolutely love the mom and pop type restaurants or quirky places. This magazine has a feature where people can write in and recommend restaurants throughout the state. The most recent issue a woman wrote about Big Fatty's Spankin' Shack in Valley View, Texas as having the best barbecue briskit sandwich she'd ever eaten. Who could resist such words? Especially when it turns out that it's just maybe 2 miles off the interstate.


We had a ball in here! It's a small place and the people working are so mellow and laid back. In addition to the briskit we also got some potato salad (which turned out to be more like creamy mashed potatoes with onions and peppers in it - absolutely fabulous!) and some "crazy stoopid corn" (which was very similar to a corn chowder). The briskit was wonderful and we will definitely return.

Wherever you live, find out if there is a similar magazine for your state. We're starting to fill up our tentative vacation plans with things all around. I'm going to start cutting out restaurant recommendations and travel destinations and putting them in a notebook so that we can pull it out on a weekend where we have no plans. Kind of like a spur of the moment mini vacation! And seriously - we would never have found this place without seeing it in the magazine. As it turns out, it's not that far away and we'll enjoy returning.
Good times.....

8 comments:

valerie said...

We get an Oklahoma magazine in the mail each month and it features restaurants all over the state and some that are fairly close to us. I was just talking to my mom about this very subject...visiting new places that are right here in our state.
It's early morning, but all that food you were talking about was making my mouth water.
How fun!
Yes, good times....I'm all about 'em.
Have a good week.
Valerie

Tracy Batchelder said...

Pretty good that you piece an entire quilt top for only $5 if you commit to it.

We enjoy Texas Highways Magazine. Our favorite restaurant in Matagorda, Spoonbills, was featured last year. That article brought in lots of new customers. Many times they would walk in the door with the magazine in their hand.

I recommend calling ahead to be sure the restaurant is open and still in business before you go, especially if it's out of your way. Things sometimes change quickly even if the article is a fairly recent one.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Pretty good that you piece an entire quilt top for only $5 if you commit to it.

We enjoy Texas Highways Magazine. Our favorite restaurant in Matagorda, Spoonbills, was featured last year. That article brought in lots of new customers. Many times they would walk in the door with the magazine in their hand.

I recommend calling ahead to be sure the restaurant is open and still in business before you go, especially if it's out of your way. Things sometimes change quickly even if the article is a fairly recent one.

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

I love the quilt square!! I cannot wait to see the finished quilt!!

Mrs Senior will just love the towels and card. Beautiful!! Love the card.

Defiantely going to check out the new food place. Sounds very yummy. Thanks for trying it first and giving your review. Its nice to get a review from a trust worthy friend!!!

Debby said...

I love the quilt block. The local quilt shop was doing that at one time and I never got in there to get started. Wish I had. I really like the variety of things you do on your blog: cards, quilting, knitting, being a wonderful Grandmother, traveling, craft shows, reading! Speaking of reading, one of the books you reviewed I've ordered on Amazon. My daughter and I buy some books because we have a "lending library" of sorts with friends.

Renna said...

I'll have to remember that bbq place the next time we make it to that area. What a neat idea for finding new places to eat!

I love the quilt top square. I wish I quilted!

April said...

Just wanted to thank you for stopping by today...I really appreciate it a lot!

Betty J Schaub said...

Hi Elizabeth:
Thanks for stopping in on my blog. We watch TCR every Sunday. Love that show and the MAG. Never heard of Big Fatty's though. Where is it?


Good Luck with my Blog Candy!