Monday, January 29, 2007

A Knitty Daughter

I have exciting knitting news - my daughter is knitting - woohoo! She's 21 and just was not interested, though my mom taught her many moons ago. Last night she was at one of her friends' apartment and a bunch of them apparently pulled out their knitting. Daughter mentioned she used to know how and they got her started again. She came home and asked if I "had some needles and yarn that I wouldn't mind if she used." I zoomed down the hall to the magic closet and showed her several options, giggling inside the whole time. She settled on size 15 needles cause that's about what she used with her friends and some pink yarn. Amazingly, this child isn't normally fond of pink!!! But she said she wanted to do a scarf to get the knit stitch down pat and I did mention that if she did it in pink and didn't want it afterwards she could donate it to the pink scarf project and that appealed to her greatly.

I cast on for her and she started knitting while I sat next to her reveling in the moment. She struggled at first and it's certainly not second nature to her yet. Halfway through the first row I said "See, isn't knitting relaxing?" and we both burst out laughing! When she got up this morning she showed me the five rows she'd completed and it really does look good. I'm happier than a tick on a hound dog that she's doing this!

And as you can see from the picture, Meeko enjoys it when she knits as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

Can not wait to meet you at WHIBSIB!! We are going to have so much fun! I love your Joe. He reminds me of my sons Cosmo, who is just a puppy, but still a golden and what a dog!!!! I am just crazy about Goldens now!

Carrie