Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Grandbabies and God's Plans

Yesterday was such a red letter day for me - I got to watch my grandbaby for the first time! The kids had a doctor appointment first thing in the morning and when they got to work they not only had pictures, but also a DVD! It was such a miraculous, awe-inspiring moment to watch the baby move its little arms and legs, open and close its mouth and watch its little heart beating. It truly took my breath away.

Then last night when I got home Keith and I had dinner together, cleaned up the kitchen and then took Joe for a walk. I realized that this is really the way I prefer to spend my evenings and that's quite a lightbulb moment for me since I enjoy eating out so much. Now I'm going to have to rethink a few things!

For the day to have left such good memories for me is surprising because I started the day off with a big pity party before leaving for work. There's a lot going on right now, and not a bit of it is all consuming, but sometimes lots of little things can just sap the strength right out of you. But driving to work yesterday in my quiet car (I will admit that usually I don't have the radio on as I love the quiet) it hit me that maybe music would help lift my mood. My car is always tuned to one of two Christian stations and the one that came on is a program in the mornings called The Journey. He was talking about what a small speck we are in the big cosmic picture and the way he said it and the verses he quoted were so helpful in putting things into perspective for me. (I just looked it up online so I could link to it and discovered that the programs are available online and via podcast - click here to find them.) I was only able to listen to about ten minutes of the program yesterday, but it was enough to jolt me out of the mood.

Then it got me to thinking about the "speck" business. While I know that my piddly problems are nothing in the big scheme of things, it's also comforting to know that God knows everything always and has a plan for it. One of the best examples of this to me came about when petting the cat one day (sorry Joe!). While petting him I started really looking at his face and noticed all the different hairs he had. Different colors, different lengths and growing in different directions. How cool to think that God has a plan for every single hair on the cat's head! If He cares enough about cat hairs, imagine how much He cares about us. I find this very comforting. And especially exciting when I think of my grandbaby forming even as we speak.

~ Elizabeth

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: