Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Honey Bun Cake

I’m finding that my tastes seem to be changing somewhat as time goes by.  Me, once the girl who knew that chocolate could solve any problem, is suddenly finding that vanilla is my flavor of choice.

I saw the recipe for this cake at Home Matters and knew right away that this would be something our family would enjoy.  And since I plan to take this to a friend gathering on Friday night, naturally I needed to do a test run first.

It was so good!  When we tasted it the cake was still slightly warm from the oven.  There is just the right amount of brown sugar and cinnamon to make it perfect.  We had a big glass of cold milk with it, but I really can’t wait for tomorrow morning to have a piece with a perfect cup of coffee.

006 copy copy

 

HONEY BUN CAKE

1 yellow cake mix with pudding
8 oz sour cream
4 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar

Combine these 5 ingredients and beat for two minutes. Pour half the batter into a 13x9 pan sprayed with Pam.

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 t cinnamon

Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half the sugar mixture over the batter. Top with remaining batter, then sprinkle remaining sugar mixture on top. Run through with a knife to create a swirl.

Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

4 T milk
1 cup powdered sugar

Mix milk and powdered sugar together to make a glaze. Pour over the top of the cake as soon as it is removed from the oven.

 

*I’m linking this post to the Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life As Mom and Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

SimplySweetFavorites

cooking thursday3

12 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I thought I had tried every cake there was, but I have never had this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. I love new recipes. It looks so yummy!! Love & blessings from NC!

TXDidi said...

Ooh, that looks positively yummy altho here in PA we like to slice our honey buns and fry them. Wonder how it would hold up?

Gale said...

Yeah...tastes do change. It's hard to believe now that in my childhood I hated onions and now I love them in just about everything.

My tastes in desserts started rich and just got richer (dark chocholate, cheescake, etc)....though I like a good fruity dessert now and then too.

Renna said...

Our church has a bookclub/potluck dinner every Monday night. I am always on the hunt for really good casseroles, and really good desserts to carry along with me. This cake looks perfect. I may have to do a 'test run' and make one for us at home this week. ;-)

NancyC said...

That looks really yummy!

Unknown said...

That looks delightfully yummy! Saying hello from a fellow SITS girl

Ginger said...

That sounds delicious. I'm like you. I love chocolate, but vanilla is mighty tasty!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This looks really good, and nice and simple. I might just make this for the crew! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of sour cream to the batter - nice and tangy with the frosting!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I've been wanting to make a honey bun cake for a while. They sound so good! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Blessed Beyond said...

This is really one of our favorite cakes! So yummy!!!!!

Just Call Me Grammy said...

This is one of my all-time favorite recipies too! Delicious!