I saw this idea somewhere online and it stuck in the back of my head. When I happened to be at Goodwill last week poking around this idea suddenly burst forth and demanded to have attention. The one I saw online used a teacup and saucer, but the ones I saw were so tiny that I just didn’t see much point. I wanted cute, but I also wanted function.
I finally found a little dessert bowl and plate. The plate is somewhere between saucer and dinner plate to give you an idea of size. And I get tickled to think that the bowl, plate and spoon cost all of $1.78 – the best kind of project!
I am *enormously* pleased with how this came out! I’ll admit that I haven’t seen any birds on it yet, but it’s only been outside for about 12 hours, so I am still hopeful.
Here’s how I made it:
To help get the pieces to stick together better I used a Medium grade sandpaper. I sanded the bottom of the bowl, the top of the plate where the bowl would sit, and the backside of the spoon.
I used 30 Minute Slow-Cure Epoxy simply because that is what Keith had on his work bench and it said that it worked on glass.
On the bottom of the plate I glued a 1/2” copper cap (.53 cents at Lowe’s) after sanding it. I let it set overnight to be sure the epoxy was good and dry.
We used 1/2” copper pipe that Keith hammered into the ground. I just placed the feeder on top of the pipe and since it’s a good tight fit that’s all I did.
I found some bird food at Lowe’s for the pretty birds – goldfinch, cardinal, chickadee – since I’m hoping to entice them to stay. I’ve seen quite a few around, so we’ll see.
And that’s it! A very inexpensive birdfeeder for me because we just happened to have a piece of copper pipe in the garage. I spent $2.31 and if I had bought the copper pipe it would add another $7 to the project. Not bad at all.