Monday, May 17, 2010

Cup and Saucer Bird Feeder

I saw this idea somewhere online and it stuck in the back of my head.  When I happened to be at Goodwill last week poking around this idea suddenly burst forth and demanded to have attention.  The one I saw online used a teacup and saucer, but the ones I saw were so tiny that I just didn’t see much point.  I wanted cute, but I also wanted function.

I finally found a little dessert bowl and plate.  The plate is somewhere between saucer and dinner plate to give you an idea of size.  And I get tickled to think that the bowl, plate and spoon cost all of $1.78 – the best kind of project!

SONY DSC

I am *enormously* pleased with how this came out!  I’ll admit that I haven’t seen any birds on it yet, but it’s only been outside for about 12 hours, so I am still hopeful.

Here’s how I made it:

SONY DSC

To help get the pieces to stick together better I used a Medium grade sandpaper.  I sanded the bottom of the bowl, the top of the plate where the bowl would sit, and the backside of the spoon.

I used 30 Minute Slow-Cure Epoxy simply because that is what Keith had on his work bench and it said that it worked on glass.

SONY DSC

On the bottom of the plate I glued a 1/2” copper cap (.53 cents at Lowe’s) after sanding it.  I let it set overnight to be sure the epoxy was good and dry.

SONY DSC

We used 1/2” copper pipe that Keith hammered into the ground.  I just placed the feeder on top of the pipe and since it’s a good tight fit that’s all I did.

I found some bird food at Lowe’s for the pretty birds – goldfinch, cardinal, chickadee – since I’m hoping to entice them to stay.  I’ve seen quite a few around, so we’ll see.

And that’s it!  A very inexpensive birdfeeder for me because we just happened to have a piece of copper pipe in the garage.  I spent $2.31 and if I had bought the copper pipe it would add another $7 to the project.  Not bad at all.

Met Monday MondayCuter

Something I Whipped Up marketyourselfcopy-1

MadeByYouMondayDIYITS-SO-VERY-CREATIVE-BUTTON getYourCraftOnResized

12 comments:

Melinda said...

So cute! I love this idea! If we used cute plastic dishes it could almost be a VBS craft!

HODGEPODGESPV said...

what's that saying? "cuter than a spotted puppy!"

Stephanie said...

So cute!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

What a great idea ~ I love it! I am sure the birds are enjoying it too :)

cinnamongirl93 said...

Oh my goodness! What a fantastic idea. Thank you for your tutorial. I realley need to make a few of these.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

This really turned out cute. I love it!!! Thanks for sharing how you did it. Love & blessings from NC!

Renna said...

That is so cute, and now I can hardly wait to make one of my own!

Danielle Strong said...

love this, i have looked into doing this, but didn't think of a copper cap, making it much less expensive than a screwable part. thanks!

Kristi @ Creative Kristi said...

This has been on my 'to do someday' list for a few weeks now! I just think it looks SO cute! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog post about my DIY Topsy Turvy! If you try it I hope you send me pictures! :)

Pam said...

What a fun project for the backyard! Thanks for this tutorial - the pics are super helpful. Pam

Let'sMakeADifference said...

Great idea! Thanks for showing me step by step! I need that! :) Just found your blog. LOVE the title of the blog!!!!

Crystal said...

AWWW What a GREAT idea, thanks for sharing...Your card is WONDERFUL and those cookies yummo!!!!!