Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Great Balls of Fire!

In my ongoing quest to find fun ways to exercise, I bought a Pilates Core Ball last night at Ross. It was only 14.99 and had the ball, some straps on the sides and a dvd. I brought it home and aired it up - much to the delight of Joe! - and clicked on the dvd. Keith was sitting on the couch reading for school, so of course he had to give me his two cents on everything. ;)

I clicked on "Getting Started" and learned how I should have aired it up and attached the straps, so hit pause and got everything fixed up. OK, good to go, so now I started the "Warm Ups" on the dvd. Hmmm....I don't see the Happy Fun Ball anywhere on these warm ups, so let's hit fast forward and get to the good stuff. Keith started laughing at about this point and mentioned that surely the man on the video must not know what he was talking about on this warm up stuff. Yep, I agreed. Boring, boring, boring - more fast forward. Wow - the entire warm up portion was sans big blue ball! OK, enough of that, who really needs to warm up anyway?

On to the exercise portion. First screen shows the ball, so I think I'll be ok now. Let me tell you - this is FUN! I'm rolling all over the place, Joe is all excited having a giant ball in the living room and mom down at his level, Keith is laughing....really what could be better? We get to the pose of the "Starfish" where you lay with the ball at the small of your back, hold on the straps with your arms out to the side and your legs out and hold it. Of course, sense of balance isn't one of my strong points, so I started rolling to the side in slow motion, with Joe right there to lick my nose!

The main reason for me buying this is for posture and tightening up my belly. I figure I'll sit on it while watching tv in the evenings. But now that I've discovered how much fun this thing is to roll around on, I am so there! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the exercise ball sounds fun!!!

BTW...I think this is my first time to your blog, feel free to stop by and say hello on mine as well!!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I remember trying an aerobics class a few years ago that used these big balls for part of it. I could not use it because of my back. I honestly tried but my lower back ended up being sore (I don't have a good lower back anyway). No, I'll let the other people try that ball thing and laugh at..I mean with...them. Seriously though, I need to do something myself but aerobics and pilates just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Anonymous said...

TOO Funny, we just bought one of those ball tonight, Don seems to think it might help "crack" his upper back! I think it might be good for my nerve so we'll see, just afraid that cocoa will think it's hers and pop it! She can pop anything even a soccer ball! I'll have to let you know how it goes.