Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tumbling Tuesday

As I was cooking dinner tonight I realized that I never posted a picture of my super simple cross stitch project. Obviously I haven't done the finishing on it, but the cross stitch portion is complete and I'm pleased with it. And since it's probably not real clear in the picture, let me point out that I set it on the "counter" at the side of the grill while we were grilling burgers tonight for the Kodak moment. Because nothing says beautiful cross stitch like a grill in the background....
Last night was another night of way too much excitement around our home. We heard sirens, a normal sound around here, but this time they kept getting louder and we saw a fire truck fly down the street. Never one to sit and wonder, I went out on the front porch to check it out - wearing my flannel pj's I might add. But I was not alone as there were pj-clad moms coming out from several houses. Lots and lots more sirens, then a police car flew in and blocked off the next block over. We started hearing chainsaws and such, so my neighbor told me to go get shoes and a coat and she was going to do the same before we headed down the street.
Lynne' joined the group walking down the block and we counted 4 large fire trucks, 2 fire chiefs, 2 ambulances and 6 police cars. We joined the huddle of neighbors across the street from the fire and watched for a bit, then came home. The garage was totally destroyed by fire, including the vehicles inside. Luckily nobody was injured, including the firemen and officers.
We talked as we were walking home as to whether or not it's a good idea to be a nosey neighbor. It was rather sad and sobering to be standing around with that many neighbors and watch a sad event. I suppose that it's always true that tragedy brings people together though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to live in an area where that's all we heard too. It is a shame, but you do see more neighbors when there's an emergency.

PS, love that yarn ball in the next post! That's going to be a great scarf.