Sunday, July 30, 2006

Gifts of Unity

This evening marks the end of a very busy, very satisfying week for me. Lots to blog about, but first I want to mention our church service this morning as it really spoke to me.

Our service was led by Pastor Oscar, who has recently returned with a team that went on a mission trip to Peru. He is an amazing man who has such a gift with missions and it was awesome to hear him speak today. Our church has been doing a series on "Unity" the last few weeks and today's sermon was on the "Gifts of Unity" or our spiritual gifts. It became an introspective service for me and I'll probably be praying on it for days to come.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. - 1 Corinthians 12:27-28

Isn't this beautiful? God fully recognizes that we all have strengths and that they all work well together. I remember when we joined this church we were given a spiritual gifts quiz that would point us towards our strengths when finished. I had a score of zero on leadership and was not surprised one little bit! I do not enjoy nor do I feel a need to lead. I am perfectly happy filling the behind the scenes jobs and letting others make decisions. And our Pastor did assure us today that sometimes the "background" gifts can be the most awesome. I am willing and able to do some of the grunt work so that people who are gifted in other areas can go about their work. How awesome that there is such a diversity of gifts and that we can all work towards a common good!

We were also blessed with a quartet of young men visiting our church to sing acappella. Their style reminded me so much of the folk singers from the 60's and of course I do love that style of music. After service when we went to talk to the young men we were pleased to discover they had cd's to sell and we've been singing along with it today.

~ Elizabeth

No comments: