Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jar of Salad

I stumbled across something on a blog that, I kid you not, has become life-changing for us.  We are huge fans of salad, but so many times when I buy all the veggies that we like some of them, especially the lettuce, seems to go bad before we eat it all.  And with all the negative press that prepackaged bags of salad get I’m just  not as excited about buying them as I used to.

004 copy

This is it – Jar O’ Salad!  I’m not going to put all the steps here as it’s not my idea, but hop over to the Salad In A Jar blog and see how she does it.

 

002 copy

Basically I buy the lettuce we like, wash it, spin and put it in jars sealed with the Food Saver about once a week now and we are good to go.  I used wide-mouth quart size jars for “salad for two” and the wide-mouth pint size jars for salad jars that I can grab and eat for lunch.

Because I’m only messing with the cleaning and prep work once a week we don’t have lettuce going bad.  And the healthy benefit is that it is so easy to reach in the fridge and grab of jar for dinner.

By the way, the photo of the single jar up above?  That lettuce is 8 days old in that jar.  We ate it for dinner that night and it’s just as good as the day I sealed it.

 

* Linking to Works For Me Wednesday

9 comments:

Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs said...

I love this idea. Not only a healthy choice, but a pretty choice! Now I just need to get a Foodsaver!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

My mom uses the jars with her foodsaver, but I don't think she does her salad this way. I am sending her the link right now.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this idea. I'm heading to the lettuce/fridge right now to get some ready! Fantastic for lunches on the go!
Thanks for stopping by my new blog. I appreciate your kind comments about my ornaments. I'm enjoying the blogging! (A bit addictive! LOL).
You have a fun blog. I'll "follow"!
-Rebecca

IzzyLizzy said...

Awesome! I need to try that, we have the hardest time eating our salad before it goes bad.

Niki Jolene said...

Awesome! I have tried all kinds of ways of storing lettuce and am never impressed with any of the results. This one is smart though! I will give it a whirl soon.

Just Call Me Grammy said...

What a WONDERFUL idea. I don't have a foodsaver though. We fight that lettuce battle all the time. I hate throwing it out when we can't finish it all.

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi I am Nicole from ColiesKitchen.com I found you on a blog hop and wanted to drop by and say hi. I really like your blog, and am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance.

Paula said...

Hi Elizabeth, Great post! I'll have to say that Salad in a Jar has been life-changing for me too. Glad you enjoy it.

Lisa said...

Love this idea. Can you also add other veggies to the jar such as carrots, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes?