Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday’s Fave Five - #80

This is a week that Friday is most welcome.  Not even that it’s been a bad week, just that I’m glad to wave goodbye and to look forward with pleasure to weekend plans!  And a blog post that looks at the past week and finds the pearls.  To see more posts, or to join in yourself, visit Susanne’s blog at Living To Tell The Story.

1. Greeting Cards – This week I’ve gotten a couple of greeting cards from family and friends in the mail.  Again I say, there is really nothing like getting a card in the mail.   You see it in the mailbox and smile, because the size, weight and usually a brightly colored envelope give away the fact that it’s a card.  You see the return address and smile big thinking of the person that sent it to you.  You walk inside anticipating opening it.  You sit down, gently holding the card and still smiling, almost not wanting to open it so that the feeling will prolong.  And then that moment when you open the card and read what the person wrote – ahhh….bliss. 

Let us never forget the power of sending happiness through the mail.

2. Greeting Cards – Last Saturday I visited a friend’s house for the first time as she had a lunch and card workshop and we had the best time.  We made 4 cards and a little Easter treat basket that are DARLING!  I see that the sun is *finally* out today so I’ll get pictures taken and posted soon.

In the midst of everybody hurrying around it’s nice to slow down and take the time and linger over lunch together.  We enjoyed each others’ company and nurtured our creative side all in one day.  Happiness!

3. Greeting Cards -  Seeing an unintended theme here?  :D  At last Saturday’s get together two of the ladies were talking about the greeting card ministry at their respective churches.  Can you believe God’s timing – I got an email yesterday (to all the ladies at church) asking who would be interested in being a part of a new greeting card ministry at our church?  I replied quicker than lightning and then grinned at how awesome God is.

4. The Weather – I am *so* loving this gorgeous spring weather.  And the funny part is that last Saturday we had a snowstorm in the Dallas area and parts of the ‘burbs got 7-10 inches of snow!  :O  It was beautiful to see and on Sunday the temperature was warm enough that it all melted away.  Then earlier this week we had our first spring storm, complete with thunder and hail.  As long as they don’t get dangerous I do enjoy a good storm.

5. Babies – My word, another person I know is pregnant!  So much joy to hear this and such affirmation from God that it is good.  The downside, if you could call it that, is that people are getting pregnant faster than I can knit blankets!!!  :))  Of course that also means I get to spend time looking at knitting patterns and picking out yarns and such and that is a GOOD THING!

10 comments:

Carrie said...

New babies are awesome and exciting things!!!

And I LOVE your remarks on greeting cards. It's true! Nothing beats them and they ALWAYS put a smile on my face!

Great post!

Have a great weekend (enjoying those fun plans!)

Heidi said...

I have these aunts, they are sisters- in their late 70's and 80's. For as long as I can remember they have sent birthday cards to every single member of their family and extended family. I don't know how they do it! We have a huge family! All I know is: I love getting a card on my birthday from each aunt- it is a true warm fuzzy.

Snow in Texas?! I'd have never thought it.

My daughter, Fash, says everyone is pregnant right now. Whenever we go out she points and says, "see, there's another one- that makes 27 this week..."

I'm trying to teach her, it's not polite to point. She's 18. :)

ellen b said...

I have to return to the great habit I used to have of sending cards in the mail. Your are right it really is a joy. Years ago I was the "Sunshine Committee" at my church and sent cards as a ministry. It's a great thing. Blessings on this venture! Have a wonderful weekend...

TXDidi said...

Cards are such a simple thing to send but they do really bring such joy. Sounds like your church is experiencing the same "growth spurt" as our church when it comes to babies. We try to give each new mother a gift bag with a baby album and a handmade baby afghan or quilt when the pastor visits them in the hospital. It sure keeps me busy knitting.

LeAnn said...

That does it, I am getting my cards out now! I was just telling my hubby this morning that I need to send my daughter a card. :)

Brenda said...

Its great that you have a bunch of people to knit for, its fun when our projects are personal.

Greetings cards, I love them too! :)

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Getting mail is a great thing, isn't it? I love cards. Later this month, at www.KindredHeartWriters.com, we're going to have a guest post about writing greeting cards.

Would love to see pictures of those baby blankets when you get them done!

Happy weekend.

Karyn said...

I'll bet all those young moms look forward to recieving a blanket knitted by you! It is so fun to have a good excuse to indulge our favorite hobby!

I agree that cards in the mail are a wonderful blessing. Good for you to be involved in such an encouraging minstry.

Willow said...

I love to receive cards in the mail, too, and this timely FFF is a good reminder to me to SEND some Easter cards this week.

Knitting for babies! What a great theme! I usually make a sweater. My dd is so wise: she looks at the MOM's taste in clothes and matches the baby's gift outfit to her style.

Have a great weekend!

Susanne said...

I am absolutely with ya on the cards. I love getting them and I love giving them. I love finding just the perfect card for someone. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive nowadays.

There is lots of babies happening at our church too. So much fun they are!