Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Ravelympics Gold Medal – Charity Curling

Ravlete

The Olympics are over…and sadly, so are the Ravelympics.  For the non-knitters that might be reading, let me explain.  Knitters and crocheters have the most awesome site ever to keep track of the projects we complete, find patterns, see what others have done, etc.  called Ravelry.  For the Ravelympics we were to choose a pattern that would challenge ourselves, cast on during opening ceremonies, must complete the project before the Olympics flame was extinguished,  and could join teams of like-minded individuals.  I was on the Charity Curling team as I was knitting for the afghans 4 Afghans team.  They send items to Afghanistan a couple of times a year, including mittens, vests, sweaters and socks.   

SONY DSC                     I chose the Classic Mitten pattern and used Paton’s Classic Wool Merino with Lion Brand Fun Fur Prints held with the wool for the cuff.  I am enormously pleased with how they turned out!  And I did actually finish in time, in large part because of the gold medal hockey game on Sunday afternoon between the US and Canada.  It was a very exciting game and the gold medal match that we were hoping for from the beginning.  Unfortunately the US did not win the gold, but we did get silver and Canada getting the gold did make us happy.

Rav Gold AND….this was my gold medal award from Ravelry!  The dog on the award is Bob, he’s the mascot of the Ravelry site.  :)

This was a lot of fun to do and I now know that knitting mittens is not difficult.  I kind of think I might be knitting a pair before next winter rolls around – for a certain adorable granddaughter.

1 comment:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What fun!! I love your mittens. They are adorable. I'm going to check out that website, because I love to knit. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!