One of the blogs I follow is Keeping The Kingdom First and for the month of November she is having a 30-Day Giving Challenge. The premise is simple - give something away every day in November and write it down in a journal. The other side of this is to write down all that you receive each month.
The most important part of this challenge is to ask God to lead you each day. The glory is for Him, not for us.
I will not be writing in my blog what or how I give as I feel strongly that if I give something simply to blog about it I am not doing it for the right reasons. I'm not saying this is true for others, but I know it's how I need to do this. I'll probably blog reminders though as I do love this idea.
It's also important to remember that all giving is not monetary. When we give from our hearts it might also be an act, rather than a check.
- the next time you bake some cookies package some up and share with a neighbor
- send a card to one of the kids on the Make a Child Smile list
- give of your time - maybe watch a neighbor's children while she gets the house ready for the holidays
- when buying food for your holiday meal consider buying extra and donating to your local food pantry
- knit a hat and donate to a homeless shelter
As I think of other ideas this month I'll share them. And if those of you reading my blog have any ideas, please do share. There are so many ways we can give beyond what we ordinarily think of.
I'm going to close with the same Bible verse that Alyssa used on her blog as it is so perfect for this challenge:
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:9