Sunday, November 01, 2009

30-Day Giving Challenge


One of the blogs I follow is Keeping The Kingdom First and for the month of November she is having a 30-Day Giving Challenge.   The premise is simple - give something away every day in November and write it down in a journal.  The other side of this is to write down all that you receive each month.

The most important part of this challenge is to ask God to lead you each day.  The glory is for Him, not for us.

I will not be writing in my blog what or how I give as I feel strongly that if I give something simply to blog about it I am not doing it for the right reasons.  I'm not saying this is true for others, but I know it's how I need to do this.  I'll probably blog reminders though as I do love this idea.

It's also important to remember that all giving is not monetary.  When we give from our hearts it might also be an act, rather than a check.

For example:

- the next time you bake some cookies package some up and share with a neighbor
- send a card to one of the kids on the Make a Child Smile list 
- give of your time - maybe watch a neighbor's children while she gets the house ready for the holidays
- when buying food for your holiday meal consider buying extra and donating to your local food pantry
- knit a hat and donate to a homeless shelter

As I think of other ideas this month I'll share them.  And if those of you reading my blog have any ideas, please do share.  There are so many ways we can give beyond what we ordinarily think of.

I'm going to close with the same Bible verse that Alyssa used on her blog as it is so perfect for this challenge:

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:9

9 comments:

Katie said...

I never even knew about the Make A Child Smile org - What a great idea!

Debby said...

What a great challenge and one I'd like to accept. I agree with the not blogging about it. Except! Perhaps the Lord would lead you in a totally unexpected way or something only the Lord could do happens. That might be encouraging to share. Just a thought.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Great ideas about giving! Thanks so much for sharing. Makes me think of ways that I can be more giving to others. Love & blessings from NC!

Sharon said...

Hi Elizabeth! I wanted to make sure you received my email about a new button... if not, check your junk mail or let me know so I can resend it!

Michele Johnson said...

Donate pet food to your local shelter. Puppies and kitties need taken care of too.

Linda said...

It sounds like a wonderful thing to do. The amazing thing is that when you seek to bless others you receive such a blessing yourself!

grammy said...

What a great idea. I like the ideas you gave too. will look back to see more. I know this month will fly by.... so this will help me make each day count (o:

Abatevintage said...

What a wonderful challenge, its lovely to meet you.

Have a blessed week.


Blessings,
Heidi

Grandma Elsie said...

Sounds like a wonderful thing to be spending your time doing.
I to have some things I am busy doing and hope to get it all done before Christmas but God spoke to my heart about it so I am sure I will get it all finished.
May your time be blessed