Monday, September 21, 2009

4 Wheelin' is Not For Sissies.....

So many different ideas of what to put for the title of this post, but really I think the photo above speaks for itself. We had such a wonderful time out 4 wheelin'.....up until the point that we discovered the dropoff in the pond. And no matter how good your 4 wheel drive is it can be a real challenge to try and drive through the oatmeal like substance that sits on the bottom of a new pond after over a week of rain.

Really, we were driving along the edge and you could even see the bottom when suddenly - out of nowhere - we went over a submerged cliff. And I'm here to tell you that the water level can rise very fast when you don't particularly want it to.



We were fortunate to find a guy riding a large atv with a winch to pull us out. He's from Minnesota and I think he was kind of tickled to pull us out as it was his "first time to pull somebody out of a pond." And equally fortunate to have a plethora of advice from many a person. The best was when we were told "why, I don't think I woulda drove through a pond when you don't know how deep it is". Really.

One thing's for sure though - I have not had so many gut wrenching belly laughs since I don't know how long. Because if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Good times.....

1 comment:

grammy said...

I don't think I would like that experience... but glad you had a good laugh. (o: