Tuesday, November 15, 2011

National Bundt Cake Day–Almond Poppyseed Bundt

Can you believe there’s actually a day for this – who knew???  I *still* say Bundt in the voice of My Big Fat Greek Wedding – anybody else?

The Food Librarian has been leading up to National Bundt Cake Day with her I Like Big Bundts posts – 30 Bundts in 30 Days!  I really, really admire somebody with that kind of ambition and even more than that… the follow through.

I used to make an Almond Poppyseed cake periodically and it was one we loved.  Cannot find the recipe anywhere, so I headed to Pinterest to see what I could find.  I’m very pleased with this recipe and hopefully by putting it on the blog I’ll be able to find it again!

 

SONY DSC

I first thought to leave the glaze off the cake because as I get older I’m finding that I like things a little less sweet.

 

SONY DSC

Seriously – doesn’t this look better?  One nice thing about making a cake that is based on a cake mix is that they always turn out light.

 

SONY DSC

This cake is drool-worthy…..

 

ALMOND POPPYSEED BUNDT CAKE
adapted from Double the Deliciousness

1 Lemon Cake Mix
4 eggs
1 small pkg instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 T poppy seeds
1 t almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 and grease/flour (I used Crisco spray) a bundt pan.

Mix all ingredients together until smooth, then pour into prepared bundt pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes.  Place your platter on the top of the bundt pan and invert.

GLAZE

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 t almond extract
1 t butter, softened
about 2 1/2 T milk

Mix all ingredients together on high speed. Add more milk if necessary to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over the cake and enjoy!

 

** Linking to Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

1 comment:

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

Oh my Lord that looks good!!!! Making my mouth water. I love Pinterest. Funny thing is my most pins are on food. LOL!!!