Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mosquito Repellant Planter

When I list the many things in my life that I consider blessings I rarely never list the fact that I attract mosquitos – and their bites – like moths to a flame.  I’ve always been a bit envious of those ladies that can stroll along in the evening during summer without a bite…and also without a drop of sweat (but that’s another story).

So when I came upon an Anti-Mosquito Planter online I was all ears – er, eyes.  And seriously, what did I have to lose?  If it worked I would be able to enjoy my morning coffee on the patio again and if it didn’t I still would be able to enjoy a pretty planter from my kitchen window.

I’m not one to completely take the word of people online, so I did spend some time with Google on this subject.  What I found though was about a 50/50 split as far as whether or not a planter like this would work to repel mosquitos.  And that was good enough for me.

 

SONY DSC

The biggest plant, the one in the back, came in a pot that said Citronella Mosquito Plant, which convinced even my skeptical husband that this might just work.  In small print it said the plant was a Scented Geranium and that the fresh lemon fragrance will repel mosquitos.  There’s also a marigold in the planter as I found it mentioned several times online, in addition to being an all-around anti-bug plant.  And the little bitty plant at the front right is a variegated oregano plant, which some say also works against mosquitos.  There’s another of these on the other side of the marigold.

I’m really happy with how it looks, so even if it doesn’t do the job it’s intended for I’m still happy.  And the Scented Geranium smells magnificent when it gets wet.  Smile

1 comment:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Please let us know if the plants work!! I too am one of those that mosquitoes make a beeline to find me when I'm outside!! Hate that too!

~Beth