Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Operation Baking Gals - Round 5


I decided for this month's Operation Baking Gals that I really wanted a more festive looking cookie in honor of Christmas.  Luckily M&M's always have Christmas bags out this time of year and that sounded perfect.

Unfortunately I could not find my recipe anywhere.  A simple Google search brought up close to a bazillion choices, so I printed the recipe from the M&M site (surely they would know best, right?) and was ready to shop for ingredients.

And then the day of baking arrived and I couldn't find the recipe I'd printed, so a Google search again.  This time a new recipe was near the top and it was on a blog, which is always the best way to find a recipe.  I printed the recipe and then also printed the M&M site recipe to compare.  There were some subtle differences and I of course agonized over which to make.  Then it hit me that since I had no plans for the day really except for baking these cookies and I since I needed a BUNCH of cookies - I'd make a batch from each so we could compare!

Oh the house smelled delightful!  And what a happy man Keith was when I asked him if he'd mind doing a taste test to help me choose the recipe that would become "our" M&M cookie recipe.  I brought two cookies from each recipe and two glasses of milk in the living room (football, it's a way of life doncha know) and we each chewed and pondered.

In the end it was a draw as we each chose a different cookie.  And what it really came down to was what kind of cookie we each preferred.  Keith prefers a cookie with a little bit of a crunch to it and I like chewy, almost not quite done cookies.  The recipe from the M&M site had double the butter, so they spread out a little more and had more crisp.  The blog site recipe had a tad more of a cake-like consistency so I loved it.

I think I'm going to keep both of these cookies.  You really can't go wrong with either of them.

Good times...........

"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips." - Proverbs 24:26

4 comments:

*carrie* said...

Those look delicious--and festive! I asked my husband what his favorite Christmas cookie is and he said Scotcheroo bars. =) Those are his favorite any time of year . . .

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

UMMMMM!!! UMMMMM!!! Looks very yummy!!!

beantown baker said...

So glad you tried these cookies! I loved them but I'm like you, I prefer chewey cakey cookies.

MSM said...

These look so pretty and festive! I think we'll have to try at least one of these recipes for this Christmas.