Monday, November 23, 2009

30-Day Giving Challenge Continues


Before November is but a memory I wanted to give a few more ideas for giving.  Keep in mind that there will always be needs, not just around the holidays.

- Overtip the wait staff.  Keith and were enjoying dinner out recently and noticed that they seemed to be short staffed for the crowd. Our poor waitress was running herself ragged trying to keep everybody happy. We came up with the idea to leave a larger than called for tip in the hopes that it might give her a smile.
- Pay for the person behind you in the restaurant drive-thru (an oldie but goodie).  This is something I've done for some time now, kind of my way to justify eating out perhaps. What I didn't realize is that apparently Keith had never been with me when I've done it.  It was perfect timing because the young man at the drive-thru window had apparently never heard of this and he was so appreciative. I like to think maybe it opened his eyes to future opportunities.
- firstgiving.com  I don't remember who sent me this link or I'd give them credit, but the main thing is the site - tons of giving opportunities. The link I was sent went to San Diego Food 4 Kids and if you have a minute click through to the site. This is such a fantastic idea and maybe somebody reading about it will be able to start a similar program in their community. It only takes a spark...
- Fire stations.  As we sit down to our Thanksgiving meals across America this week remember the the police and firemen that keep us safe. Perhaps take something to them as a thank you.
- Sales clerks.  Black Friday approacheth!  Honestly, if you never had to work retail on this day you can't even imagine how exhausting it is. Maybe tuck a $5 gift card to a fast food restaurant in your pocket and give to a harried clerk - you know you'll see one or five - as a thank you for working on this day.
- Food baskets. I am certain that food banks would love to have gifts this time of year.  Our church is putting together baskets and made it very easy for us to donate to this project.


Again, these are just a few ideas to think about.  With the slow economy even donations to the "usual groups" are way down, so if you are at all able to give this year I know it will bless you.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:9

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
valerie said...

It is such a great feeling to give!
When we were in Virginia recently the restaurant where we ate breakfast was extra busy. Our waitress was doing the best she could to do all her duties.
During our conversation she told us that she is going to school, working full time and is a single mom.
She told us that her son's school pictures were coming up and she was working overtime that day.
I felt led to leave her a really good tip. I pray she was blessed.

I appreciate this post. It will hopefully nudge all of us to be more giving in big and small ways.

Happy Thanksgiving (a day late) :)

Grandma Elsie said...

I so agree with you both on this subject.
God shows us where he wants us to help and you are right in that it is so blessed to give..Many people cheat their selves out of great joy by not giving when the opportunity is there.
Elsie <><