Sunday, December 05, 2010

The “IN” Christmas Trees

In the sermon today, called The Tree, our pastor started off by talking about some of the current “in” Christmas trees.  Now I’m  totally not passing judgment on these because truly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  However, I can confirm after seeing these that not only do I need to get out more, but I really am a traditionalist at heart.

The Black Christmas Tree (this one seems sad to me somehow):

black tree

 

The Upside Down Christmas Tree (I’ll admit this one could be fun):

upside down tree

 

Beer Can Christmas Tree (not sure even what to say about this one!):

beer tree

 

There’s not a photo of our tree in this post as we just started doing our decorations today.  The tree is assembled, but no ornaments have been placed yet.  I think this year I’m going to go back to a traditional tree and use all the ornaments that the kids made and that we’ve received as gifts through the years.  Our tree the last two years was picture perfect, but it seemed rather cold somehow.  I’m thinking the memories associated with this year’s ornaments will bring the warmth back. 

I’m also looking forward to sharing ornament origin stories with my granddaughter.  I know my kids will roll their eyes because I tell the same stories every year, but I’m going to look at it as me being dependable instead of me forgetting I’ve already told the story!  Smile

 

Tradition: sit with husband in a room lit only by tree lights and remember that our blessings outnumber the lights.  Happy Christmas to all.  ~ Betsy Cañas Garmon

 

** All photos found through Flickr Creative Commons

1 comment:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm 64 years old and I've been married 46 years. When we were putting our tree up yesterday I could tell my husband where and when and who about nearly everything we put on the tree. There are ragged paper snowmen with our son's first grade picture on it, tiny little school desks with chipped paint and our oldest daughter's name on the side, red satin balls with out youngest daughter's name in glitter, ornaments former teachers gave my husband, small ones students gave me, etc. Friends, family, neighbors...lots of loved ones represented. I can't imagine a beer can tree touching the heart like mine does. :) blessings, marlene