Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Growing Wheatgrass Seeds Indoors

This is another one of those instant gratification planting experiences. I purchased some wheatgrass seeds in the bulk food section of our local Sprouts grocery store after reading about it somewhere online.

I have always heard that your planters need holes in the bottom and a few rocks thrown inside before putting your soil in to help with drainage. So I did.

Fill the planter with dirt (I got some MiracleGrow soil at the hardware store that already had some sort of fertilizer mixed in), then sprinkle the seeds on top. When I say sprinkle, I mean completely cover. I wanted it very thick. Then put a thin layer of soil over the top of the seeds.

Keep the soil fairly moist by using a spray bottle filled with water. My planter is on the windowsill right by my kitchen sink, so when I did the dishes I'd just give the planter a couple of mists.

I planted these seeds on 5/31.


On 6/3 this is what it looked like when we got up in the morning. Not only was the grass visible, it was pushing the soil up in chunks.

Keep misting.



On 6/4 you can see that it's really taking off. I think it was at this point that I told Keith I wish all grass seed would grow this fast and maybe we should consider using wheatgrass to cover some of the spots in the yard.

Keep misting.


I love this picture because it shows the moisture on the grass. This picture was taken the next day - 6/5 - and you can see that it's filling out nicely.


This picture was taken late in the evening on 6/8 - a week and 1 day after I planted the seeds. Right after taking this picture I 'mowed the lawn' so to speak for the first time. All I do is hold the planter over the trash can and trim the tops of the grass with a pair of work scissors.

I would say at this point, a week after the last photo, that I've had to trim it two more times. It will probably last another few weeks, then it will be time to start the process over again. I know this because I did it in March as well and there comes a time where it just gets so root bound that it can't do anything else and starts to wilt.

It always brings a smile to my face to see these perky pots in the window sill. I'm looking forward to doing some when it turns cold to bring a little of the outdoors inside.

This would also be a fun project to do with kids since it does bring such quick results. We're seriously thinking about putting a timelapse camera on the next one we do - how cool would that be?

7 comments:

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

can you put them outside in either a bigger container or even plant them in the ground?? So pretty for grass!!!

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

I guess you could put it in the blender and drink it!!! LOL!!! I dare you!!! Its suppose to be really good for you.

Unknown said...

R u sure you don't have a grow op going there! LOL! Making things grow sure is gratifying isn't it.

Roberta

Ginger said...

Plants just make everything look so fresh and pretty. I'm amazed at how quickly it grew. I love the pot you have it in! I may have to give it a try this summer.

cinnamongirl93 said...

Wheat grass is very healthy to drink. All you have to do is blend it with some cucumber, celery and an apple. It really is good.
The timelapse camera would be so cool! Your GD would love to watch that!

Karen said...

Piper's Pre-school class did some of these for an open house. They took little cups and put googly eyes on them, heart foam sticker for the nose, and drew a smiley mouth. It looked like a head with all this great green hair growing out of it. Would be a fun project for Miss B!

valerie said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog.
I went to Falls Creek as a teen too. I remember that I went down one night during the invitation. I felt the call to do something special in my life for God. I think they called it "special service." :) Who would have thought that I'd be serving (in the same cabin where I went with another church as a teen) 30 plus years later.
Falls Creek is great. You should go back one day for a visit. How long has it been since you were there?