Thursday, July 30, 2009

Farm Fresh Eggs

Isn't this pretty? I think in the back of my mind I've always thought of farm raised brown eggs as being the best, though I admit that I haven't had the chance to try them.

But we are blessed to have several Farmers Markets in our area and have had fun visiting them this summer. One booth we found had farm fresh eggs, so I reached into the bottom of my purse and pulled out the $3.49 for one dozen. Crazy? Perhaps. But I was ready to try it and see for myself.

The next day I made scrambled eggs for breakfast and had high hopes. And yes they were very, very good. I found a couple of things pretty interesting about them, including the fact that the shell seemed to be thicker and stronger than the eggs we get in the store. And the yellow seemed much brighter.

Would I buy them again? Not very likely for $3.49 a dozen when I can get a dozen for a dollar at the grocery. Except that for a few moments during that one breakfast I felt a small spark of kinship with my kin from years past. And how do you really put a price on that?

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Love that picture..fresh eggs always look pretty to me! Collecting eggs from the hen house was one of my chores growing up.

Believe it or not I'm not a big egg fan, but have grown to love omlets with lots of cheese and bacon!

Today I was going through some of my recipes and found a coconut cream pie recipe and thought of you. I've made this pie a couple of times and it's really good. If you're interested, let me know and I'll email it to you.

grammy said...

Pretty eggs...and expensive. If you saw a the documentary on eggs that I saw once you might be more tempted to pay it. It really is horrible how they are raised massively and feed weird stuff and disease and all that stuff. yuck.

Just Call Me Grammy said...

We LOVE farm fresh eggs, but lost our source and cannot seem to find another one near by. $3.49 sounds a bit steep to me, but I probably would have done it too.

valerie said...

I remember my grandparents having their own chickens and eggs when I was little.
I think they really do taste better. I probably wouldn't pay $3.49 very often though.

I got all the ingredients to make the coconut cake.
I'm going to a dinner Tues. night and am taking that for dessert. I can't wait!
I finally found the cream of coconut at the store. I had to ask someone for help. I assumed it would be with the sugar, flour etc. but it was over with the mixed drink aisle. Who would have thought.
Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

Farm Fresh eggs are the best. We are lucky enough to get them often from one of hubby's friends. In the between times, I buy the ones at Kroger for 2.19 a dozen. They are closest to fresh as I have found in the store. Good eating for sure!!!!